Sunday, May 14, 2006

May 14 - Volcano on the brink of eruption



The most interesting thing in the news these days, to me at least, is that Gunung Merapi, "the Mountain of Fire" in central Java is close to erupting.

Indonesia has the most fascinating volcanos in the world. They really look like mysterious tropical island volcanoes, emerald cones rising above vast areas of palm trees. I could see a different volcano, Gunung Semeru, out the back window of my host family's house when I lived there, but only on clear days, when it would rise out of the mist. Java's volcanoes are the world's most violent volcanoes. When they blow, it can change the atmosphere of the whole earth. I hope that people are safe, of course. It sounds as if most have successfully evacuated. But I still find the event very exciting and interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home