Thursday, May 11, 2006

May 11 -- The Big Spawn

When it rains it pours they say...... or in this case, you start fishing and suddenly everything around you seems to relate to fish.

Specifically the big fish-related news today is that the springtime fish spawn that I remember from my childhood is happening today. There's a pond next to our house, connected through a series of other ponds to the stream (THE stream, the one I talked about fishing in two days ago) which in turn connects to the huge St. Croix river next to us. A native species of fish called the Bigmouth Buffalo swims up these waters and comes to spawn in our pond. They flop and jump at the very edge of the water, with their backs coming out of the water. You can see their fins, their heads and bodies really well. They make noise. They deposit eggs. It's pretty interesting to see. It usually only lasts one day.

I don't believe I have officially announced it yet in my blog, but I should let everyone know...... Marco and I have decided to stay in Minnesota for a year or two. I get to spend time with Marco and my friends and my family, and spend time in our lovely northern praries, forests and lakes. Marco seems to like it so far actually (big relief!) and we have found some pretty cool places both in the city and outdoors. My only regret is that I don't get to go hang out with my friend Shelley in California, at least not soon. But I still plan to come visit!

So Marco's looking for work here, and I'm looking for work AND a studio space. I want to work for another glass studio for a year to gain some insight into how to run a studio. But in the meantime I plan to start constructing some glass works and selling them around town. I'm really impatient to get that started now. I have my first designs in mind, and a few boutiques I plan to approach to try to sell them at. Just need to get my tools (oh my tools! I love my tools!) and start building!

So to sum up today: fish eggs, spawn, job hunting, glass designs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home