Friday, April 07, 2006

April 7 - Who's Who of Minnesota

Ohhhh, stayed out late for karaoke last night. Good times. But I'm a little rusty this morning....

I guess I should introduce the new cast of characters here in Minnesota. These are the friends, some new some old, who have been keeping me entertained (and doing a damn fine job of it) these past few months while I was home alone in Minnesota:

First, there are the people I have just met this year:

Molly - a very funny girl who knows lots of people. She has a showdog named Valentine who can jump through hoops on cue (sort of). She does theater and sings. She can even do a karaoke rendition of Blondie that sounds good. Girlfriend of Nick Raleigh.

Mike - a poet and photographer with a techie day job; and the first person to introduce me to Strong Bad ( http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html ). He pretends not to watch "America's Next Top Model" but he really knows everything that's going on. Boyfriend of Lauren Asheim.

Lauren Asheim - Of two Laurens, this is the girl Lauren. Fellow alumni of the Minnesota Kicks and Pipes Brigade (me being the other member - it's quite a show). She's a Guthrie actress and a fine knitter. Girlfriend of Mike.

Jen - The only girl I know who owns her own spinning wheel. And she is also the only girl I know who owns a metal forge. She spins yarn and grumbles about the dog that she hates that is living in her house.

Ally - She's about to leave to teach junior high school in Columbia. In a group of knitters she crochets.

Then there is the old school folks; people who have known me a lonnnngg time:

Lauren Allen - the other of two Laurens, this is guy Lauren. Defying all common cultural notions we are still best friends after all these years. If anyone has seen me through some awkward years (elementary school, junior high school, high school - the whole works), that has gotta be him. I think most people will agree that Lauren is also one of the world's best people and if there were a register of cool people like there is a register of historic landmarks, he would be at the top.

Emily Allen - born Emily Henson, she is Lauren's wife. We met in ninth grade, creating (with Nick Raleigh) fantastic science projects that involved flaming gerbils. Now she's a crafty girl working in jewelery and metal, and we both get kicks cruising to hardware stores and dreaming about kilns. She can also break out some Bollywood dance moves like nobody's business...

Nick Raleigh - always a unique guy..... he endured years of math classes with me and Lauren back in Stillwater. Ten years later at age 26 he ran for governor of Minnesota with the Green party. He sang Johnny Cash last night at the Karaoke bar. Boyfriend of Molly.

Alicia Jacks - A tiny girl with two big twins and one big dog and a husband named Karl . I got lucky because when my family moved to the St. Croix Valley at age ten, Alicia was the first girl I met and my first St. Croix Valley friend. I haven't gotten to see her much since I've been back, as two new members of the household keep her occupied. Certainly hope to see more of her though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home