Tuesday, March 21, 2006

March 21 - Spring comes and nature blooms

The sunny, wet, sloppy days of spring are near. The air is starting to smell fantastic in a sweet and earthy way. Of all the things I am happy to be home for, few can compare to the sweet exhilaration of spring in the North.

Animals are out in abundance too. I was driving to St. Paul this evening to have dinner with my cousin Barb and her husband Pete. As I drove straight west into the golden sunset, I realized there were at least 7 or 8 flocks of geese up in the sky, and all were flying due north. North! When they arrive, so does the warm air and sunshine.

And at lunch I drove over to Hudson and the bald eagles were sitting on the ice on the river again, near the open water. Last week Dad said that is a typical way that eagles look for fish. They're so big. They intrigue me. I should go to the shore and watch them hunt for fish one of these days.

Finally, yesterday when I came downstairs in the morning and opened the window, I saw several odd brown lumps out among the trees. After a moment of pause, I realized that they were a whole troupe of deer resting in the sun on the forest floor. They looked content and relaxed, napping and staring around. I realized we usually see deer when they are alert or running away. This was very peaceful, and it felt like a secret view into the hidden life of the forest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home