Sunday, March 05, 2006

March 5 - Life at 15

Last night I went over to Emily and Lauren's house. Just one of those nice quiet evenings hanging out. Emily looked up art classes in Italy while Lauren cooked a delicious pasta (clams I believe), with a raspberry bread from the bakery as a dessert. Before going there I grabbed two old video tapes from home. They were videos I made one day in 10th grade, when Lauren, Emily and I were all around 15 years old.

The videos could be summed up as "24 hours in the life of Sabrina" including an earnestly detailed look at my home, my school, my classes and all the people I used to know. The reason I had made the videos was that I was about to be leaving for a summer exchange to Australia with 6 other kids from my school, and this was to be sent in advance to my host family to introduce myself and let them know a little about my life.

What a surprise it was to see it all -- me, Lauren, Emily our friends and our world at that age. We were young, naive, silly, real. It seemed to bring something to a poignant full circle. I've been travelling and wandering for nearly ten years, since the end of high school basically. And these past three months at home have been a homecoming after living my life in so many other places and experiencing so many new things. And then this video brought a little slice of our old life out in sound and color. It felt like a window back into another time, mystifying and fascinating in a bittersweet and endearing way. I was lucky, as always, to watch it with Lauren and Emily, as they were as much a part of it all as I was. It's one thing to watch something like that alone, another thing to have other people who understand what it was all about.

PS - another thing this morning....I woke up and to my surprise it was snowing. The snowfall got heavier and heavier with big wet flakes and now at noon the world outside my house is pure white. All white. White on white. All the trees, the ground, the pond, the porch and the sky are all white... matte white under a heavy cloudy sky. Since it's march it won't last long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home