Saturday, April 08, 2006

April 8 - Marco Will Be Here Soon!

Marco is going to arrive here in Minnesota on Monday evening! I am so excited! These last few days have seemed SO long. When he gets here I'm going to take him somewhere pretty in the countryside. It is lovely sprintime here now.

This week was the first time the ponds and lakes have completely lost their ice. It is so pretty to see the water reflecting the sun and the trees that rim their shores again. The skies are blue and I've seen some little crocus flower popping up.

Last night I looked out my bedroom window and saw big flames in the forest on the other side of the pond. It was kinda bizarre because the flames were about fifteen feet high and it looked like a forest fire. But I realized it was my neighbor across the pond making a bonfire down by the water, probably burning old branches that he has cleaned out during some spring yardwork.

In the dark I couldn't see if anyone was out watching the fire or not though, so to be sure I went out of the house and walked down in the dark forest to the edge of the pond. The water was glassy and smooth in the night, and the huge flames reflected in the water. It was pretty. I like the forest, even at night. And there were frogs out already! They were chirping in the spring evening breeze. So I stood there in the dark, listening to the calm chirp of the frogs and the quiet crackle of burning wood, watching the flames of a fire in the trees and its reflection on the water. Then I noticed a ripple in the smooth water and looked out just five feet or so and a dark figure was gliding across the pond. It was a beaver! It went by at least three times. I don't know what it was doing. Collecting wood at this hour? Maybe. It was totally silent when it swam and left a ripple of small waves that caught the light of the fire.

It was pretty, and I saw my neighbor by the fire so it looked like things were under control. I watched it for awhile then walked back up to my house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home