Monday, June 05, 2006

June 4 -- To Each Place It's Music

It's late and I should go to bed so I won't write long. I'm just kinda depressed. I really love dance music, and by that I mean dance music in a very global sense -- anything from Tom Jones to Los Fabulosos Cadillacs to "I'm Blue Da-Ba-Dee-Da-Ba-Di" to the Limbo Rock to Axwell to Kylie Minogue, to name a few. I won't go into detail about this now. That's another story for another day.

The thing that depresses me now is that I think my music doesn't sound as good in Minnesota. I'm wondering if music has to have the right surroundings for it to sound it's best. I was just trying to search for new dance tunes tonight, for the first time since I've been back in the Minnesota (since we didn't have a high speed connection again until just recently). And suddenly the stuff that I really loved in Paris, around Europe and even in Singapore, all places where the genre of dance music is alive and vibrant, well this music doesn't sound so good here. Something kills it's energy. Is it the cool nordic temperament of Minnesota? Is it the lack of heady sensuality so easily found in Europe? Is there too much niceness here and not enough bad ass flirty, elegant sexiness to bring out the best in this music?

I don't know what it is but I feel like there's something here that drains the beauty, the kick, the wildness out of the music I really like. It's a disappointment. It's hard for me to feel the same energy that I had when I walked around town, listening to these songs on my little portable radio in Europe or Asia or probably even San Diego. I love Minnesota and there are many beautiful things here. But one kind of fiesty, clever beauty is lacking that I can't quite put my finger on right now. I miss it. It makes me want to go back to Paris, Europe, London... wherever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home