Sunday, September 24, 2006

Tornado in my Valley?

Yesterday was kinda interesting. I went home to St. Mary's Point for a lunch with my Mom and John, and Britt's parents and Britt's little niece Sophie. After lunch we went down to Afton to visit "Afton Art in the Park" - an annual arts and crafts festival.

We roamed around the booths and looked at the art, some good and some bad. Then Mom comes over and says that she heard someome saying there's been a tornado touchdown in Roberts. That's a small town just across the river in Wisconsin.

Britt's dad and I were both about to frown skeptically like "nah that's nothing to worry about" when suddenly the tornado sirens start to wail. Their spooky somber sound made the hairs stand up on the back of our necks. We looked up to the grey sky. It looked plain and flat like a typical fall day. We were confused. Everything seemed normal but a siren definitely means some tornado activity has been confirmed in your area.

So I called Marco on my cellphone. He was working at home on the computer and he looked on the internet for me. He said that there was a funnel cloud (a swirling cloud that produces a tornado) sighted right over in Hudson, just five miles away! Also Highway 94 near Lakeland and Hudson were under a tornado warning! Wow! I've never heard of any tornado activity this close to home. It's scary but exciting. I've always fantasized about seeing a tornado.

But we were out in an open park. Not the safest place even though it felt pretty safe. I suggested that we didn't need to leave because if we saw a tornado we could just run down the street and take shelter in a huge underground tunnel that Britt and Emily and I used to play in as kids. But Britt's parents wanted to head home (even though their home is in Hudson - directly under the tornado activity!) So we all went home. It was necessary anyway, because it started to rain. The artists took down their art and their stands and packed up.

Nothing happened after that and today is a beautiful sunny fall day so it's all over for now. But it was fun in a spooky and exciting way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home