Thursday, December 15, 2005

Dec 9 - Surf's Up at Pipeline


Happy Birthday Marco!
---

In the morning I went for a long walk around Diamond Head Crater and down to Kapiolani Park.


I came across a Japanese man painting the coastline.


And a chain of runners were giving each other massages in preparation for the Honolulu Marathon.

Then the exciting part of the day came! Britt, Andrew and I drove to the North Shore to watch the Pipeline Masters surf competition. Imagine the biggest waves on the planet, with the biggest names in surf riding them! I must admit I was mighty excited.


It was hard to get good pictures of the surfers with my dinky little snapshot camera, but I think you can get the size of the waves relative to the surfers. It was massive! Pipeline is one of the world's most famous huge surf breaks and watching people surf it is like nothing I have ever seen before! Beautiful. Amazing!


Spectators on the beach and signs for Rip Curl, the event's sponsor.

Beautiful! Look at that!



More spectators


Makua Rothman of Hawaii heading out to compete


Britt and Andrew, happy as clams


A surfer exiting a barrel

Then in the evening we headed to the little nearby town of Waialua where we ran into the local Christmas Parade. It reminded me of Afton's 4th of July parade back home, only tropical.


Locals in the parade


The local Hula Dance club

Before driving home Britt, Andrew and I capped off the evening by trying on visors at the local Quicksilver store.

We were still stoked. What a cool day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home