Sunday, November 27, 2005

Nov 27 - In Minnesota...

Here I am again, after a lonnng dry stretch of no journal entries. Yesterday while having lunch with Lauren I joked that the big gap was for dramatic pause, like the cliffhanger at the end of a Batman episode. But in reality I've just had so much on my mind that I couldn't even narrow down what I wanted to write about ..... Leaving France, returning to the US, figuring out how to keep my favorite habits alive here (like buying meat fresh from a butcher, not out of a plastic-wrapped tray) and trying to find again what I love about home (like long rambling conversations) has occupied most of my time.

I guess I'll be doing that for awhile. How long does it take to leave a country once you've lived in it and let it seep into your blood? Maybe a long time.

Keep tuned kids . . . . .

Well all that is rather weighty. So I keep myself in good spirits by purchasing tools. Nothing pleases the senses and soothes the soul like the weight of a good solid hammer in the palm of your hand. The tools are for my glass-working studio, which is coming into form bit by bit (or literally tool by tool). I've also bought several types of pliers for glass, and I'm waiting on the key item: my new glass cutter. It's coming in the mail. Once it's here I can get started.

Other than that I'm staying at home and spending a lot of time with Mom and John. Then I spent Thanksgiving with all of my aunts, uncles and cousins. It was so cool. I love coming back for that. My cousin Barb cooked a turkey for the first time AND managed to find the time to show me her own mosaic studio in the basement. Then we ate a grand feast and topped off the evening with horrible Happy Birthday songs that were as off-tune as piano strings being trampled by a buffalo, just like every year! ..... a ritual only the Bensons could love (or endure). We also had Dad over. I baked a lemon pie for him and we watched a documentary on TV about my own home town - Stillwater. Good solid family bonding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home