Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Blissful vacation

This morning was the delivery. I brought all my glass stuff to the Gallery. Five weeks of work. And so for one blissful afternoon I didn't do NOTHIN! I napped in the sun and ate lunch with Marco at Bon Vie, a tasty eatery up the street. I have worked every day for the last two weeks except Thanksgiving day, even weekends. Maybe even the last three weeks. I've lost count. Despite the quantity of work, the quality has been good - I mean that I have enjoyed it. When you work for yourself and can do what you want life is pretty good. Now all I have to do is make money and I'm set.

I like physical work because you actually feel yourself get stronger when you work a lot. I haul stuff, I'm on my feet all day, the work is detailed and exacting. My arms, defintely my back, my legs all feel vigorous and healthy. A big difference from working on a computer where lots of work makes you feel soft and ill. But in my work at least I also keep my brain busy too. Between design (to make things beautiful) and engineering (to make things that hold together) there has been a LOT to do. I wake up in the middle of the night wondering if a sheet of tin can be soldered to a piece of copper-wrapped glass, and if so, would it look good?

But enough about work. Who wants to hear about that? The other thing I did this evening was to go buy something to wear for the gallery opening saturday night. My clothes are in a ragged state because I've been putting all available money into the studio, meaning no new clothes for the last 6 months, and I've been wearing the ones I own HARD. All my pants have rips and tears in them. Everything's kinda surly looking. Some people probably think I'm trying to be cool but I've truly worn them through. So I got a nice blue dress this evening at H&M. It's pretty. There was TERRIBLE Christmas music on in the store. Ohh that's so obnoxious. Pity the employees.

Tomorrow, back to work. Merry, the gallery owner (yes, that's her real name) wants 2 more mirrors, 6 more nightlights and as many tealight candle holders as I can make before saturday. She thinks the stuff is going to sell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home