Thursday, November 16, 2006

Busy!

These are busy days my friend....

I'm getting up every morning and hauling myself over to the studio and building, building, building. I feel busy like the squirrels I see around town these days who are in a frenzy of nut-related activity. Every time you see a squirrel they are a creature with an agenda - digging, hiding, burying, un-burying, eating. They are plump and furry and look all ready for winter.

But enough about squirrels (alas, is there really ever enough?). I'm not tucking acorns into the corners of my studio but I do have an agenda of soldering, grinding and cutting. I have about a week to finish 3 mirrors, 20 christmas ornaments, 8 nightlights, 10 tealight candle holders. Yikes, it scares me just to write that down. I don't know if I'll get everything done before the gallery opening. I thought everything would go faster but since everything I'm trying to do is so experimental it is going much slower than anticipated. Lots of trial and error.

I also realized that I have a lot of time to listen to stuff while I cut glass and solder so I'm starting to try out some language-learning cassettes. The question is what language should I learn? I saw a book to learn Catalan in the library but no cassettes. damn. that could be fun. I already breezed through the one set of Indonesian cassettes that they had. Heard it at least 10 times. This opens a dangerous existential question for me because if I start thinking about learning a language again it makes me want to move somewhere new and exotic and I can't start thinking like that for now. Countries for me are like cheap women for a hungry man. I am too easily tempted. I've spent WAY too many hours dreaming about returning to Asia or trying a place like Zanzibar for a whim. I try to keep my mind free of these things.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had my heart set on Zanzibar for awhile now too... but, I've heard (from those in the know) that Pemba (the island just beyond Zanzibar) is much nicer & less tourist-y.... Let me know if you decide to go sometime!
Shelley

November 17, 2006 1:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home