Sunday, July 30, 2006

unexpected wave of nostalgia

I just got a big unexpected visit from the ghost of good times past.

I'm working on my new Green Lantern Glassworks website right now. I was trying to find some JPEGs from my previous site that showed my student stained glass works. I was digging around in some archived files looking for some missing images.

Then suddenly I found a whole hidden treasure trove of my old photos from the days when I was aspiring to be a photographer. Oh man! Most of these photos have been stashed away on our external hard drive and I haven't really looked at them in two years. What a wave of nostalgia. They're mostly from our years in San Diego and Singapore from 2001-2003 -- a time during which I was so connected to my surroundings because I was spending most days out photographing them. I have such vivid memories of the places I photographed. I would spend a whole day at the Torrey Pines Glider Park, for example, waiting for perfect shots of people flying their model airplanes over the seaside cliffs near San Diego. If there was one thing I truly loved about photography it was the connection with the city I live in, the countryside, the objects, the people. When you photograph you look so intently at details, and spend every day out hunting for them. Nobody does that in their usual lives because we all have other stuff to do. It makes for a rich connection. I just realized now how much I miss that. I should get out photographing again, just for fun. Too bad all my camera equipment is still in France.

Anyway, here's one shot from the glider port.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home