Sunday, October 02, 2005

Oct 2 - My Greatest Sympathies to Bali

I just wanted to note my deep regrets when I heard about Bali's recent terrorist bombing. I lived one island away in Java, Indonesia in 2000. I studied Indonesian language for 3-1/2 years and Southeast Asian politics, economics and culture for 4 years. I did all that because this is a beautiful region with some of the kindest and most intriguing people I've met the world over.

Indonesia has been doing so well in their transition to democracy, a process which is never easy. Indonesians, including Muslim Indonesians, generally exhibit a great deal of patience, generosity and intelligence in their daily lives and are a pleasure to know. They don't deserve this.

This second round of terrorist attacks will take a heavy toll on the economy of Bali and Indonesia, places with enough hardship as it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home