Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off to my Studio I Go....

A lots going on at my studio. I've recently been working on my first custom commission. I finished cutting the glass for the window (which is pretty large - about 5 feet by 2.5 feet). At this point normally the clients will come in, see the window, and give the go-ahead to finish it with the strips of lead.

I realized my studio, however, was in total shambles. I was like a housewife with her hands in her hair thinking "I can't have clients over. My place is a mess!". There were papers and books and glass and stray cardboard everywhere. I had no real furniture so everything was just piling up on boxes.

So I went to IKEA and bought myself a proper desk and shelf. Then I cleaned and organized my WHOLE studio. I'm so proud! It looks nice now.

So I had my clients over and they were happy with the window and everything is progressing fine.

My friend Emily has also been coming over to work in my studio for the past two weeks. She works in metal and enamels. At the moment she's firing enamels onto copper with a torch. You gotta like a girl who knows how to use her torch.

The last exciting thing is I finally figured out something that's been puzzling me for MONTHS. I wanted to know how to print graphics on to glass. I want an edgy modern graphic look. Turns out that this requires an obscure technique that's rarely practiced. There is almost no information on it anywhere. But I sniffed it out like a hound and figured out the mystery. As of today I have all the equipment I need and I think I understand how to use it. Tomorrow I'm going to give it my first real try. I will create an image in Photoshop, transfer it by a photographic emulsion onto silkscreen, print it onto glass, then fire it in a kiln. Then I will have a cool image on glass! I want to use this to make sushi plates, pocket mirrors and other cool things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home